Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 17: A 2011 PR

(of sorts).

I jogwalked 3 miles today! While I know that isn't mind-blowing or a huge accomplishment, it's the first time I've done so as a 29 year old. I got really into jogging last year (it definitely would feel like a stretch to call it running). During that stint of life, I often did 3 miles, and my PR was 4 miles (the time is irrelevant because it's very unimpressive). But I was really proud of getting up to 4 miles when I had, only months before that, been 99% inactive. Anyway, I did this work out frequently until it got hot (yep, I'm a wimp). I've tried to get myself going again when it got cooler in the fall, and then again after the snow left. I've managed to make the shorter (1 or 2 mile) version happen a couple of times, but am nowhere near where I was at this time last year. But, I'm making it a semi-mission to keep this going at least while it's spring-ish (and just in time for bathing suits!).

The last year of my life has been a huge journey for me. I've lost 35(ish) pounds over the course of the year and I'm amazed at how much my outlook on life has changed. I won't make this blog post about that, but suffice it to say, I'm really, really proud of myself. But during this last few months, I've very much struggled with the same 5 pounds- losing it and gaining it back pretty frequently. But today, I decided to push myself back up to the 3 mile mark when I've only been doing 1 or 2 miles (and have only infrequently done so). I recaptured that feeling of being able to do WHATEVER I put my mind to by just pushing myself a little harder today. It was extra helpful that I had ample time to do so after having an unexpected half day off work.

I realllllllllllly want to push myself to get into the next weight decade as I call them (if that doesn't make sense to anyone else in the world, it's when the middle number (the ten spot), goes down a notch. It's happened three times during my weight loss and it requires celebration.) by June 15. I have no doubt that if I can push myself like I did today, I'll get there.

As much as I say, and often think, that I hate jogging, it feels really good when it's over (and sometimes, even, during).

1 comment:

  1. I always try to remind myself how good I feel after I workout when I'm trying to get my workout started - so hard. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete