Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week 6: Figure Out a Go-To Comfort Recipe for Times of Yuckiness

This past week, my life has been defined as overall yuckiness.

I started feeling bad last Saturday (one week ago, today!). In true Angie Livesay fashion, I didn't take time to rest and make myself feel better but instead ran myself into the ground. Do we ever learn lessons like these? So, now a week later, I'm starting to improve after several days spent on the couch now. Somewhere mid-week, I crazily craved chicken with noodles like my Mom used to make. However, I didn't in the least bit feel like cooking. I needed something quick, easy and comforting. I did a bit of very quick research on the internet and came up with the following concoction. I am in no way claiming that this is an original recipe, I'm pretty sure it's probably the recipe that a lot of people use, but it is what I pulled together after my quick search combined with what I knew we had in the cabinets. It totally fit the bill and will now be likely what I serve my someday children.

Here it is:

1/2 bag of no-yolk egg noodles
1 cup (ish) of (diced) chicken ***
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste

Once I had boiling water, I dropped the noodles in for somewhere between 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, I microwaved frozen diced chicken we had for a couple of minutes. You could absolutely use any kind of chicken you have on hand- leftover, canned (ew, though), etc. When the noodles were cooked to my liking, I put a lid on the pan and drained water out the side (my laziness would not lead me to wash a strainer). I left a bit of water in the pan (again, probably out of laziness, but it worked). I then mixed in the cream of mushroom soup, the chicken, the milk and the butter. I let that cook on medium-low for probably ten minutes and stirred it a couple of times.

All in all, it took about 20 minutes for this and I could take several sitting breaks during the cook time (which were, sadly, necessary). The above recipe made approximately 4 servings.

I'm glad I discovered how to do this- it's one of those things I've wanted to perfect for a long time and especially before we have kids. I want my future children to come home from college begging me to make things like this. My heart just melted a bit.

No photo this week- I didn't think about it until after it was gone. I blame the steady stream of medication in my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment